Board of Directors Annual Election Information
Board of Directors Annual Election Information - Applications Due by May 12 at 3pm
The Board of Directors is the governing board for Charleston Charter School for Math and Science (hereinafter “CCSMS”) and governs in accordance with the Charter School Act of 1996. The Board’s focus is supporting positive student achievement and ensuring sound fiscal management.
The Board consists of nine members. Pursuant to S.C. Code Ann. 59-40-50, at least five (5) of the members must be individuals who have a background in K-12 education or in business. Pursuant to CCSMS' Bylaws, the balance of the Board is to be made up of two (2) parents/guardians of students enrolled at CCSMS and two (2) community members who do not have children attending CCSMS. Based upon the two-year staggered terms of Board members, there are currently four (4) seats on the CCSMS Board that are subject to election.
The Application for Board of Directors 2021 cycle is available at the end of this document and online at: https://forms.gle/ovy1yV8xtxvLbSh36
At this time, there are four (4) positions subject to election:
1 Parent Member
2 Community Member
3 Education K-12 or Business Member (May be a parent or community member)
4 Education K-12 or Business Member (May be a parent or community member)
Annual Election Applications forms for the Board of Directors are available on the school website (www.charlestonmathscience.org). Completed applications must be submitted by 3 p.m. on Wednesday, May 12, 2021. Board candidate information based on completed applications will be posted on the CCSMS website by May 17, 2020.
Voting shall occur from 7:00 am on May 20, 2021 through 7:00 pm May 21, 2021 and will be conducted electronically via a secure ballot collection tool. Paper ballots will be made available upon request at the school. Eligible voters will receive an email with a link to vote. Additional computer access and paper ballots for voting will be available on the CCSMS campus. In accordance with S.C. Code Ann. 59-40-50, parents or guardians of a student have one vote for each student enrolled in the school; CCSMS employees each have one vote. The deadline for voting will be clearly stated on the ballot form.
Time Line and Important Dates:
April 21, 2021 Application posted online and available in the front office.
May 12, 2021 Applications submitted online or in the CCSMS front office by 3:00 p.m.
May 17, 2021 Candidate information posted on website.
May 20-21, 2021 Voting open online 7am on May 20 to 7pm on May 21, 2020 with additional options of paper ballots available on campus during school hours.
June 3, 2021 Confirmation of election at board meeting.
July, 19, 2021 Annual Meeting, First meeting of new members and election of officers.
Responsibilities of the Board of Directors include, but are not limited to:
- Establishes policies for the governance of the school in accordance with national, state, and local laws governing public charter schools in South Carolina.
- Hires, evaluates, retains, and removes the school principal.
- Directs the principal to employ teachers and non-teaching employees.
- Reviews documentation presented by principal ensuring that all employee applicants have met certification requirements and applicable background investigations before employment.
- Is responsible for approving or ratifying contracted services not limited to transportation, financial accounting, and legal services.
- Directs the principal to review and adjust pay scales, performance criteria, and discharging policies as required.
- Develops policies regarding operations of the school, budgeting and curriculum.
- Reviews monthly financial reports and votes annually on the budget.
- Reviews and evaluates the academic and administrative achievements and progress towards annual goals.
- Maintains accurate up-to-date records of the business conducted at all Board meetings.
- Notifies the public of scheduled meetings in accordance with state laws.
- Conducts periodic reviews of school guidelines regarding health, safety, civil rights, and disability rights requirements as needed, and adheres to the same requirements that are applied to all public schools operating in Charleston County School District.
In accordance with state law, Board Members cannot have any felonies on their record.
Board Election Candidate Information 2021
To be posted on May 17, 2021.